Webster for the Web
When you dive, into the online dating scene, you may be confronted with terminology and tools you aren't familiar with. Different sites have different names for their devices, but generally the concepts are similar. Here are a few key expressions you might come across during your time online.
- Flirt, Tease or Wink: This is a quick click of a button that shoots a pre-written one-line email or message to let someone know you’re interested.
- Profile or Portrait: Your profile, or portrait, is your photo and info combined. Think of it as your personal marketing tool. It also includes your username.
- Match: Sometimes online dating sites send you a list of potential matches. You can peruse them and decide whether you want to take the initiative and make contact.
- Hot List: This is a tool to keep track of people you have a crush on. You might choose to let the people know your crushing on them or keep it to yourself.
- Preferences: You choose what you’re looking for, like height, weight and hair color, and the system will show you the best matches.