The latest news on this change — carefully culled from the world wide web by our change agents. They do the surfing, so you don't have to!
Smoke-Free Policies Work
Smell that? It’s the smell of vindication. Doesn’t it smell good? Kind of like a clean, fresh breath of smoke-free air?
It turns out that yes, all the efforts states and local governments have put into effect to help people quit smoking really are worth it. The report from an International Agency for Cancer Research working group found:
* Smoke-free policies “substantially” decrease secondhand smoke exposure.
* Jobs that are smoke-free decrease cigarette smoking among current smokers, and lower * adult smoking rates.
* Smoke-free policies lower respiratory symptoms in workers.
* Bars and restaurants that have banned smoking have not seen a drop in business.
* Voluntary smoke-free homes lower children’s exposure to secondhand smoke.
* Smoke-free campaigns lower underage tobacco use.
* Smoke-free laws help reduce a heart disease health diagnosis.
So now that we know smoking cessation programs work, how is your progress? Do you feel like you've successfully kicked the habit? [HealthDay]