Secrets to Making Change Easier
Think of yourself as a boat on the river: When you resist change, it’s as if you’re rowing upstream against the current, when everything that’s right for you is downstream. Change becomes hard when you try to get back upstream to where you once were instead of flowing with the “River of Life.” Clinging to the rocks or rowing vigorously back upstream makes change tough.
Resisting change often makes life more difficult; with time, we always adjust to new ways of living.
6. The Things You Can Control: What You Say, Think and Feel
Those who successfully navigate change know that when they feel “stuck,” speaking different words, thinking positive thoughts and getting in touch with their feelings can help them become “unstuck” in a matter of minutes. Though you can’t control how or when things change in your life, you can control the words you say, the dominant thoughts you believe and the emotions you allow yourself to feel. When you stop trying to control your outside circumstances and work, instead, to control what goes on inside of yourself, you’ll be on your way to loving your life more.
You can begin to control your words, thoughts and feelings today by:
- Becoming aware of the language you use to describe the change you’re experiencing. Trade victim vocabulary for words that are uplifting and empowering.
- Noticing your thought patterns. When you change the way you think, you begin to control the movies that play in your mind: You have the power to make them bright, dark, negative, lonely or uplifting.
- Realizing that all feelings—the positive and the challenging—become your compass while navigating change; they help point you in the optimistic direction by alerting you to how you don’t want to feel and how you do want to feel.
7. Meet Your Spiritual Side: Where Tranquility, Ideas and Wisdom Live
When going through change, Change Optimists know that they need to look for the part of themselves that doesn’t change and is always there—the part that’s calm and centered. This is their spiritual side, and it will help them move through change with ease and grace.