The latest news on this change — carefully culled from the world wide web by our change agents. They do the surfing, so you don't have to!
Waste by the Numbers
The National Geographic channel is running a highly-publicized documentary this weekend about exactly how much of everything we consume in our lives. “Human Footprint” airs at 9:00pm ET on Sunday, April 13th, and it tries to explain some gigantic numbers to us.
* Humans throw out 246 million tons of garbage every year.
* Every American throws out 64 tons of garbage in a lifetime.
* Americans throw away 60 million plastic bottles every day.
* Every second, we throw out 694 plastic bottles.
* On average, one person takes 28,433 showers in a lifetime.
* We throw out 11 million tons of glass bottles every year.
* People throw out about 100 million aluminum cans every day, enough to build a roof over NYC.
The goal of showing these numbers isn’t to scare you, but to make you understand that it’s up to all of us to do our part to go green to save the planet. [NationalGeographic.com]