1. Have a good listener on speed dial. Everyone needs to be able to vent frustrations and share concerns when they’re facing something overwhelming. Report to someone who won’t get sick of your complaining—your mom, your husband, your dog—doesn’t matter! Just let it out.
2. Make the gym a priority. Getting your sweat on provides a release for all the negative and anxious energy that comes with change. When everything seems out of your control, having full reign over your body brings back a much needed sense of power.
3. Celebrate successes. They can be as small as having a good day at work or finding a new favorite restaurant. Reminding yourself that goals can still be reached outside of the change that’s happening will give you motivation to keep moving forward.
4. Indulge in what makes you happy. QT with the girls, journaling, foot massages… whatever it might be! Make more time for it because it’s these things that will keep you grounded.
5. Keep your options open. It’s extra important now to be able to decide for yourself what you want to do and when. Stay busy so that you don’t get too preoccupied and overwhelmed by the change, but don’t over commit. If it’s not a priority—don’t feel guilty for passing it by.
Career expert and best selling author Nicole Williams is re-defining the world of work—making it glamorous, entertaining and relevant to modern women. Nicole founded WORKS by Nicole Williams in 2006 with the vision of building the first media and content company focused on career development specifically for the highly dynamic and powerful market of young professional women.
Nicole is the author of two bestselling books; Wildly Sophisticated: A Bold New Attitude for Career Success (2004) and Earn What You’re Worth (2005), published by Penguin Group Inc. Her latest book Girl on Top, was recently purchased by Hachette Book Group and will be published in Fall 2009.
In 2004 Nicole co-created the hit career reality television series Making It Big. The show aired for two seasons on the Life Network in Canada and on the Oxygen Network in the US. Currently, Nicole is the Motivational Expert on Real Simple. Real Life., the fifteen episode makeover series with TLC & Real Simple Magazine (Watch Nicole on Friday Nights, 7pm Eastern). WHAT WORKS, a Supernanny meets The Office make-over reality show, is currently in development.
Nicole is a frequent contributor to Elle, Self, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, The New York Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and The Financial Times. She has also appeared as a regular contributor on ABC’s Primetime, Good Morning America, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, Fox News, and CNN. Nicole is the “lifestyle for the working woman columnist” for MSN and is the executive editor of the popular WORKS e-newsletters, Agenda, Living the Dream, Astro and Girl on Top (coming soon!).
Nicole has also created event marketing programs and provided motivational speeches across the country for brand name companies including The Ford Motor Company, ClearChannel, Electronic Arts, Saks, BCBG MAX AZRIA, Banana Republic, and pharmaceutical giant Barr Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
A book for women who won't settle for less. Nicole Williams, the author of Wildly Sophisticated, knows the real key to success isn't saving more money... it's making more money. Earn What You're Worth shows working women how to up their earning power--by ...