Make a checklist of all the critical things you need to do before moving to your new city--it will save time and many headaches! Here are some essential tasks that tend to get overlooked when moving to a new city:
- Notify your landlord that you are moving. If you are selling your house, talk to a broker about putting your home on the market.
- Fill out a change of address form with the United States Post Office and change your address with credit card companies and subscriptions.
- Call your utility providers and set a date for ending service, and set them up when you arrive in your new city.
- Ask your doctors for copies of your medical records and those of any family members moving with you.
- Request records from your children’s schools.
- If your current bank doesn’t have a branch in your new city, inquire about opening an account at a new bank before you get there.
- Send an email out to friends and family with your new phone number and address.
- Cancel gym, club and movie rental memberships in your old neighborhood.